At Overlake Orthodontics, we offer treatment options for all ages because everyone deserves a healthy, happy smile. The team at our Bellevue, WA, dentist office specializes in orthodontics which ranges from traditional metal braces to virtually invisible straightening options.
Patients of all ages find themselves in need of teeth straightening, whether because of adult teeth that come in misaligned or because they’re tired of dealing with an imperfect smile. The Overlake Orthodontics team can walk you through all your options and help you determine what is best for you or your child.
Orthodontic Treatment For Kids
When it comes to your child’s dental care, we want you to feel confident that they are getting the best treatment for their needs. Our team works closely with you and your child to develop a treatment plan that meets their needs.
Signs your child may need orthodontic care include:
- Baby tooth loss that begins early or late
- Having a hard time biting or chewing
- Breathing through the mouth
- Thumb sucking that continues past age five
- Speech issues
- Misaligned bites or teeth that stick out farther than others
- Crowding of front teeth around age seven
We offer options including traditional metal braces in the form of two-phase treatment for our younger patients. Phase one begins around age eight, followed up by phase two around 11. Early treatment can help make room for permanent teeth to erupt properly, in addition to correcting bite and jaw problems.
Benefits Of Early Orthodontic Intervention
- Helps develop good chewing and biting patterns
- Eliminates bad habits, including thumb-sucking and tongue thrusting
- Aides in jaw growth
- Makes the proper amount of room in the jaw, so teeth can erupt properly
- Prevents, or corrects, bite problems and jaw concerns
- Reduces risk of chipping for teeth that may be protruding
- Promotes long-term stability post-treatment
- Improves speech and breathing
- Creates symmetry of facial features
- Reduces the need for more invasive treatments down the road
Orthodontic Treatment For Adults
No matter how long you’ve been putting off your orthodontic care, we can help you get a dazzling smile that you will love.
Adults may consider braces for a variety of reasons, including:
- A misaligned bite
- Crowding or spacing of teeth
- Jaw pain or pressure caused by misaligned teeth
Addressing these issues is important because you could be at higher risk for tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental problems when your teeth aren’t in proper positions. Adult orthodontic treatment can range from traditional metal braces to ceramic braces, and lingual braces to clear aligners. Our team is here to help you determine the best option for your needs and goals.
Adult Orthodontic Treatment Options
Don’t let the thought of metal braces deter you from getting orthodontic treatment. At Overlake Orthodontics, we have a number of options that provide you with subtle yet effective treatment.
- Clear or ceramic braces – These are similar to metal braces, but they use clear or tooth-colored materials to keep them subtle.
- Self-ligating braces – This option uses a sliding archwire instead of elastic bands, making for a faster treatment on average.
- Lingual braces – These braces are placed on the back side of the tooth, so the look of your smile remains unchanged.
- Invisalign® – Also known as clear aligners, Invisalign uses a series of straightening trays to move teeth into position.
The Differences In Treatment
The biggest difference in orthodontic treatment for kids versus adults is that the jaw bones of kids and teens are still developing, making treatment easier. For adults, orthognathic surgery, or surgical orthodontics, may be required to achieve your best smile. We also tend to see more periodontal disease in adults, which will need to be monitored closely during the treatment. Worn or missing teeth in adults can also change your treatment plan, whereas, in children, missing teeth are often to be expected.
Whether you’re wanting to improve your child’s oral health or get your own smile in tip-top shape, we can help. Call the team at Overlake Orthodontics to schedule a consultation and find out which orthodontics options are right for your needs. Let us give you a smile you love showing off.